Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What are Soulmates?

I have seen people in love and they tell me they have found their soulmate.  I have had 'spiritual' people try to explain to me about soul recognition and another part of me in spirit world and frankly I had no idea what they were talking about.

My understanding of soulmate is the popular version used by people in love.  I used to be envious of these people who had found their soulmate and were sure they were going to live happily ever after.  I have since changed my opinion.

No one person is capable of meeting all your needs. Different people in my life meet my different needs.  It is through the diversity of the people that I interact with, that all my needs are met.  Also, it is that diversity of other people in my life that makes me more interesting to those closest to me.  I dont need my partner to be all things to me and to be constantly by my side.  We do not need to be joined at the hip to be happy.

Take a look around you and see the part that people play in your life.  The person you have the deep and meaningful conversations is probably different to the one you go out and have fun with.  The one who you go dancing with is probably different to the one who you play chess with. 

We are each unique individuals, shaped by circumstances, experiences and nature.  There is no other person just like you.  You need to be happy with who you are.  Your thoughts are shaped by your experiences and the people that surround you.  The more people you meet and talk to, the more interesting you become to yourself and others. 

To be happy you do not need an individual to do this for you. You do not need to find a soulmate. Do not make your happiness and who you are be dependant on your partner. You need to be happy with the person you are and the interests you follow first and foremost.  Then when you have made sure you have met your needs then you can share who you are with a partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment