Thursday, September 30, 2010

Duty of care by Psychics

A few years ago, I went to a psychic who told me I should leave my husband.  I was devastated.  I cried all the way home and I cried even harder when I told my husband that the psychic said I should leave him.  My ever practical husband gave me a big hug and asked me " Do you want to leave me?" I replied "No" Then he said "Then what is the problem?"  He basically told me that I did not have to do what the psychic told me to do. If I had listened to the psychic, it would have had a negative effect on my life.

As a medium, I have been asked by clients whether they should leave their partners. After my experience, I now have very strong ideas that no one in the physical or spirit world has the right to tell someone to leave their partner.  This is a decision that has to be made by the individual.  Firstly, they alone know the nature of their relationship and can make an informed decision.  Secondly, they may feel they want to leave their partner but  still need a little more time to make sure they are making the right decision.  Thirdly, once the decision is made, they are personally responsible for the outcome.  Through making their own decision, they have grown as a person and if it does not turn out how they expect, the can't blame someone else for the situation.  On the other hand, if it turns out better than expected they can take all the credit for outcome.

I believe the role of a psychic is to provide the information and tools for the client to be able to make their own decision to move forward.  Offering their clients a different perspective and alternative ways to help them work through their situations.  This way, the client holds the power to shape their own future.  The psychic should encourage empowerment not dependence.

It is about time that psychics took a step back, look at the impact their words have on their client's lives.  Ask themselves whether they would be happy with someone telling their loved ones the things they are telling their clients.  As soon as you accept payment for what you are saying to a client, then you have an obligation to make a positive impact on your client's life not a negative impact.

People also need to take responsibility to be discerning and realise that you don't have to do what a psychic tells you to do.  At the end of the day, be responsible for your own decisions.

2 comments: