Thursday, November 4, 2010

Count your Blessings

My Mother used to tell me to count my blessings when I was moaning that someone could do something that I was not allowed to do.  I never really gave it much thought as a child but now it is really important to me.

I must admit that I have a tendency to have a poor me attitude.  It is something that comes out every now and then when I least expect it.  I fight it every time it comes back with the art of counting my blessings.

Sometimes it is very hard to find something positive to start counting with.  I always resort to the love of my family and friends.  I have about 5 people who really love me, not the superficial kind of love, but a deep love and they accept me unconditionally no matter what I do.  Now sometimes, I can only really feel that love from one of those five people and I will concentrate on that love as a blessing.  Each day I would list first thing in the morning who or what was a blessing to me and I was very fortunate to have in my life.  Just before I went to bed I would go over my day and find at least one instance of something good happening to me during the day.  Sometimes it was to see a baby smile or to see a perfectly formed flower.  Other times it was the kindness of a loved one or a stranger.  Each day my list would get longer of the good things in my life and the happy moments during the day.  Before long I was appreciative of my life again.

As soon as I start to appreciate my life, so many good things seem to happen and more opportunities open up for me. I am not sure whether all the good things happen because being positive brings about more opportunities or whether my attitude has changed and I recognise the good things happening around me.

So next time you are feeling a little down or things are not going the way you want them to, start counting your blessings.  It works!

No comments:

Post a Comment